Citi Research - Global Economist, Vice President, NYC
Citi, the leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Our core activities are safeguarding assets, lending money, making payments and accessing the capital markets on behalf of our clients.
Citi's Mission and Value Proposition explains what we do and Citi Leadership Standards explain how we do it. Our mission is to serve as a trusted partner to our clients by responsibly providing financial services that enable growth and economic progress. We strive to earn and maintain our clients' and the public's trust by constantly adhering to the highest ethical standards and making a positive impact on the communities we serve. Our Leadership Standards is a common set of skills and expected behaviors that illustrate how our employees should work every day to be successful and strengthens our ability to execute against our strategic priorities.
Diversity is a key business imperative and a source of strength at Citi. We serve clients from every walk of life, every background and every origin. Our goal is to have our workforce reflect this same diversity at all levels. Citi has made it a priority to foster a culture where the best people want to work, where individuals are promoted based on merit, where we value and demand respect for others and where opportunities to develop are widely available to all.
Be a key part of Citi's Global Economics Team which covers major global economic developments and events and aims to systematically track global economic developments. Topics of interest include monetary and other macroeconomic policy, inflation, investment, debt, credit and (de)leveraging, international trade, major elections and other political processes, crises, turning points and many more.
In this role, the candidate is expected to produce thought-provoking and insightful economic research and insights for Citi's clients, with a particular focus on:
i) Monetary (and other macroeconomic) policy and central banks.
ii) Financial market developments.
iii) Thematic research.
Citi Research focuses on delivering to clients on a global basis the highest quality investment insights and wider economic and political economy insights relevant to non-financial corporates and public bodies. The unit includes Equity and Fixed Income research as well as Economic analysis and has staff in 25 locations around the world. Citi Research is committed to maintaining the highest level of independence and objectivity in its proprietary products and insights.
* Covering leading central banks and major financial institutions globally, including by following their policy and research output, monetary policy strategy and policy innovations and turning points.
* Covering major economic events and trends and major issues of interest for financial markets.
* Contribute to all other initiatives and outputs of the global economics team, including analysis, publications, and presentations.
* Other ad hoc tasks or projects, including analysing macroeconomic and economic policy developments of interest and handling bespoke requests from clients.
* Presenting to Citi Research's internal and external clients.
* Working closely with Citi's global team of economists and other research colleagues.
* Extensive years relevant work (including research) experience in economics, preferably in a financial institution or a policy institution. Experience in a central bank in a policy-relevant role would be highly desirable.
* Advanced understanding of monetary (and other types of macroeconomic) policy, including commonly used models for monetary policy analysis and the analysis of policy options.
* Experience in writing and presenting.
* Experience in collecting, processing and analysing data in a largely self-directed manner.
* Demonstration of an understanding of and enthusiasm for economic, political economy and market analysis.
* A Master's Degree is required; a PhD Degree in Economics or allied disciplines is desirable.
* Good working knowledge of applied quantitative techniques, as required for policy analysis.
* The ability to collect, manage, handle and analyse data and databases efficiently and rigorously.
* Deep familiarity with macroeconomic and financial concepts and some major economic databases.
* Demonstrated understanding of / strong interest in core economic methodologies.
* Ability to carry out qualitative research, including literature searches and summaries, informed evaluation of results and an intelligent read of the press and other media.
* High degree of comfort with statistical software (e.g. EViews, Stata, Matlab) and with MS office applications.
* Strong quantitative and other analytical skills.
* Accuracy with a strong attention to detail.
* Methodical approach and strong organizational capabilities.
* Efficiency and speed in carrying out tasks.
* Strong oral and verbal communication skills.
* Good interpersonal skills and proven team player.
* Ability and willingness to learn quickly about new subjects.
* Positive attitude, drive and initiative.
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Minority/Female/Veteran/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 17069656